Frequently Asked Questions & Important Information
Snow chains are a legal requirement for ALL vehicles entering Falls Creek alpine resort. All vehicles (including 2WD & 4WD) must carry a pair of snow chains even when the roads are clear during the declared snow season. Random checks from police will be carried out during the season and fines do apply.
There are designated snow chain fitting bays along the mountain ascent so you can fit chains in a safe area. Signs will read Fit Chains Here (engaged 4WD excepted).
Rocky Valley staff will show you how to fit our chains to YOUR vehicle. Make sure you have a torch, towel and a plastic sheet as you never what time of the day or in what conditions you may need to fit snow chains!
Before coming down the hill, if the road is clear, and there are no signs to the contrary, take chains off. If in doubt, ask a parking attendant whether they are still required.
If you need chains to come down, leave them on until the road is clear. Driving on a clear road with chains on can damage tyres, chains and the road.
All vehicles entering Falls Creek Alpine Resort must display a Resort Entry Permit sticker. This sticker must be displayed on the driver’s side on the bottom of the windscreen. Please make sure the sticker is clearly visible on the windscreen. Resort entry permits can be purchased from the following locations:
The resort entry ticket box, where you can purchase daily, nightly and seasonal resort entry permits, is located approximately 6km’s from the village gateway entrance. Please make sure you access the appropriate lanes when entering the resort. Pre purchased ticket holders and season pass holders MUST enter resort through far left lane. Any vehicle that has not purchased a resort entry ticket must enter through the ticket box window lane and purchase a ticket from the ticket box or from Accommodation Transfer Terminal (if after hours). Please make sure you read signage on ticket box for resort entry after hours information.
Visit www.fallscreek.com.au and receive a discount on the entry price, this must be done prior to arrival at Falls Creek.
Falls Creek Resort Entry Ticket Box
Open 7:00am - 4:00pm Monday & Thursday
Open 7:00am – 12:00am Friday
Open 7:00am - 10:00pm Saturday & Sunday
After Hours Arrivals
Monday - Thursday between 4:00pm - 12:00am, please purchase resort entry tickets from the Accommodation Transfer Terminal located on the Bogong High Plains Road as you proceed into Falls Creek village.
For arrivals after 12:00am, park your vehicle in one of the spaces signed 'late arrival'. Register your details by calling 0475 447 135 - you will need to return to your vehicle by 10:30am the following morning to avoid incurring an infringement.Various off mountain ticket agents also sell Resort Entry Permits in Mt Beauty and Myrtleford.
As you enter Falls Creek you will be greeted by car parking attendants who will direct you where to park.
If you are staying overnight you will be directed to the Accommodation Transfer Service. From June 23 to September 12, Falls Creek village is closed to vehicles, part of our unique ski-in, ski-out environment. During these times the Accomodation Transfer Service (ATS) is the best way to get you and your luggage to properties high up in the village and/or away from the Bogong High Plains Road.
The ATS provides on-snow transportation through its fleet of cat-track Husky vehicles. These vehicles are heated and sealed from the elements and have ample storage space for your luggage. Tickets can be purchased online at www.fallscreek.com.au
Driving With Chains
- When driving with chains, do not travel over 50 kph or you could damage your tyres and the chains.
- Keeping the car free of snow, ice and fogging-up.
- Running the air conditioner and heater together is the best way to stop the car fogging up.
- When parking in the snow, leave a manual vehicle in gear, or an automatic in Park. Leave the handbrake off. If on a steep slope, consider chocking the wheels.
- If heavy snow is expected during your stay, take the time to put chains on before it snows. This is much easier than trying to get a car without chains out of deep snow.
- If the car is deeply covered in snow, it is best to dig it out before you bring all your luggage from the lodge. If there has been a very heavy snowfall over a few days, it can take quite a while.
Remember that it is illegal and dangerous to drive with built up snow on the car.
- If the car is covered in a small amount of snow, clear enough to get in the driver's door, turn on the ignition, heater, air conditioner and demister. Wipe and scrape snow off the roof, bonnet and boot then away from doors and windows. By the time you get in, the car should have warmed enough that it does not fog up.
- Do not use windscreen washers to clear snow or ice; it will make it much worse. You can buy a scraper, or use a credit card to scrape the windscreen if nothing else is handy.
- Check that your radiator has antifreeze.
- If you have a diesel, fill up close to the snowfields to make sure you get Alpine Diesel.
- Check your tyres for good tread and correct pressure.
- Check that your brakes and windscreen wipers are in good condition.
- If your heater, air conditioner and demister are in good condition you will have a more enjoyable trip.
- Carry a torch, groundsheet and thin but warm gloves. These can all be useful when fitting chains, or dealing with flat tyres etc.
- Check that your radiator has antifreeze.
The Big Hill Mountain bike park is located on the Bogong High Plains Road just behind the township of Mount Beauty. After leaving Rocky Valley Bikes follow the main road toward Mount Beauty, straight ahead at the round-a-bout for about 100 meters and you will see the carpark to the mountain bike park on your right.
- Mount Beauty has a flat walking/cycle track around the pondage.
- Pebble beach walking/cycle track along the river starting at Embankment Drive.
- The hilly walk/cycle path along the Kiewa Valley Highway to Tawonga is a 16 km loop, if you turn left at Riders Lane head down to the Kiewa River for a quick cool off in the summer before continuing along the road, turning left again at Damms Road you will find yourself back in Mount Beauty.
- Many more we can show you in store, depending on level of fitness and riding ability.